[Kbi-webcivics] [IA - members] MyHealth Record

Todd Hubers todd.hubers at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 11:14:52 AEST 2018

Hi Tim,

As usual, you have plenty of insightful things to say. The improvement of
healthcare is truly a worthy goal, but not if that means dragnetting data
against citizens. But with so much information and ideas to cover: I think
progress would be achieved with goals and a strategy.

Strategically, there is a limited amount of impact I believe we could have
in this particular group. I would also suggest that "Privacy" alone isn't
enough of a reason for the majority of the population, so that line of
conversation will benefit the privacy-concerned, but won't appeal much
broader than that.

If you can summarise distinct problems in dot-point forms that would be a
great asset. Here are some of my own to kick-start:

1. *Can a citizen "withdraw"?* - There is a lot of talk about opt-out and a
deadline. One would think that a person's situation and beliefs are not
static. If withdrawal is not a planned mechanism, that's very problematic.
Actions would be: highlighting this to relevant groups to lobby for such a
mechanism to be created.

2. *Is there a better design?* - I would think that a self-sovereign
(SOLID?) framework would be a more direct 1:1 digital conversion. It would
be one where you have total control over the data, and choose who can
"view". Currently, people manually carry records (and quite a lot are sent
digitally Org to Org directly). Actions would be: signalling the open
source development of a self-sovereign platform, and have people opt-out,
not because they are concerned about privacy, but because they want to
influence the Government to evolve to the better solution.

Any more high-level points?

(I was involved way back with NeHTA, PHR, and other related systems. There
is much controversy beyond an "opt-out" model. But I do hope that something
will succeed given that over $1bn was spent on this.)

Cheers,

Todd

--
--