[Kbi-webcivics] [IA - members] MyHealth Record

Timothy Holborn timothy.holborn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 11:41:48 AEST 2018

The term "self-sovereign" Comes from Christopher Allan, who has more
recently become intrinsically involved with the credentials work I helped
establish, with a few others a few years ago.

https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/2014/08/06/call-for-participation-in-credentials-community-group/

His writings are worthy of having a good look at:
http://www.lifewithalacrity.com/2016/04/the-path-to-self-soverereign-identity.html.
As are the rather extensive amount of writings available on the relevant
GitHub pages.

They originally worked on a concept called "respect network" which had a
centralised username method for login. This was first worked on via oasis,
prior to the takeover of the w3 credentials work, around the time the main
person driving the work got SBIR funding with the US department of Homeland
Security.

I am not a subscriber to "self sovereign" methods, they are aware of our
differences of opinion in this area.  They are not currently "solid
compatible" or part of that stack, they have a broader different means
which is not an inforg (no point telling people everything, where the claim
may be made that those doing so, aren't meaningfully contributing ;))

The nature of human identity is different to the identifiers and related
works, somewhat formatively illustrated very well by our own Roger Clarke
whose materials I find serve as a great "reality check" resources, with
good provonance heritage to boot!

http://www.rogerclarke.com/ID/

With respect to existing catalogues of data, I think people are simply not
aware.  Whilst a movement of people seeking to live without
telecommunications / computers / database records about them (whilst
seeking to retaining personhood) might be a great experiment for TV, it's
not very practical.

More soon.

Tim.

--